Thursday, August 16, 2018

Books and Magazines


Topic 1:

I’ve known about this list for several years, since I was in school. Truthfully, I really never gave it a second thought. See, reading was huge in my family. I could read almost anything I wanted, within reason for my age and maturity. After looking at the list I saw many books I’ve read or know about, for instances; Captain Underpants, Twilight, Harry Potter, The Catcher in the Rye and Huckleberry Finn. I loved all but The Catcher in the Rye, I only read it because it was part of a high school class. I read Harry Potter to my kids when they were young and we discussed it. It opened up tons of great conversations that we used as learning tools. When my kids were older we all read Twilight then saw the movies together, it gave us something to talk about and amazing family outings. My thoughts on these books is I personally enjoyed them, used them to teach my kids lessons and we all learned from past thoughts on say racism from Huck Finn; as well as history. Do I agree with everything I’ve read? No, however, I like to learn and be uncomfortable. It’s the only way to grow, and I wanted to teach my kids that too.

I’m very thankful that there are people out there who love kids and books enough to make sure that both are safe. Having said that, it’s my responsibility as a parent to watch what my kids are reading, or, have them read something that will make them uncomfortable so we can discuss it. That’s my job, I’m not real excited about someone telling me how to do my job. I do understand not all parents are like me or have my parenting style, so, having another set of eyes out there isn’t a bad thing. I’m not keen on having books removed from the library, once that kind of thing starts where does it end? The objections sound reasonable, however, going back to my last statement, once this kind of thing is started where do we as a society draw the line?

Some of the books/authors you’ll find are Stephen R. Lawhead (most all of his published works), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (not just Sherlock Holmes, he has many other very good books), Bollinger, cookbooks, Handwoven and The Bible. When I say The Bible I mean one written in its original language. Just to name a few (very few). What would all this say about me? I love to read, but more, I love to learn. I read and keep books that I find joy in also, I have books from my childhood and from my parent’s childhood. It would show I read a wide variety and I like to learn new things from different prospectives. I’m passionate about weaving, spinning and not taking someone else’s word about something as important as what God has to say in His word.

Topic 2:

The three that come to mind and you’ll also find in my home is Handwoven, Spin-off and Biblical Archeology in Review. One other that I love is National Geographic. I find when I have the chance to stop and read something like this I want to learn and be entertained. I’m also looking for help, ideas for my next project and what people are doing with their abilities as a weaver or spinner. A good example of this is Master Weavers/Spinners giving lectures or classes, this is included in these magazines. Or amazing trips to Europe for spinners who want to experience spinning with other spinners from different parts of the world. And, of course, the beautiful projects that are included in the magazines! Biblical Archeology is fun because the magazine talks about history, what’s been found and where. The pictures of artifacts that have been found are amazing. I love the potshards, glass and coins they’ve found. It’s all very exciting to see how people have lived and how they created.

Most of the advertisements in these magazines are for equipment to weave or spin (looms, spinning wheels and drop spindles), product to weave or spin (different types of fiber or blends of fiber), classes in different parts of the world or, classes in archeology and language. I think as a consumer is shows I’m willing to spend money on something I love. I’m willing to learn and buy what I need to learn. In a weird sort of way, it also shows I’m not into the new techie stuff or up and coming gadgets, most everything I buy lasts for many years and the basic construction has been around for literally thousands of years.             

















No comments:

Post a Comment