Thursday, August 2, 2018

Newspapers and Modern Journalism


Topic 1:
I watch my local news out of a local station from Medford. KTVL channel 8 (https://ktvl.com/), this is a CBS station. This time of year local news is vitally important, I live in an area that sees forests fires every year. My husband, two brothers-in-law, sister-in-law and various other family members work at an airport that gives support to firefighting aircraft. At this moment flames can be seen on a mountain side from the airport. In these matters I feel the reporting that’s happening is accurate and timely. When I do have questions about other issues that’s being discussed I do research on my own which will include visiting other websites, talking to family members who work for different organizations and talking to local officials. Do I feel that these news agencies lie? No, but I do think stories get skewed.  Reporters and news casts are human and are over worked; mistakes can and have been made. I feel it’s my responsibility to check out what I’m being told and not allow myself to be spoon fed.

I do not subscribe to a news organization, that doesn’t mean I’m not willing to. Right now I don’t have the time to sit and read or watch news I’ve subscribed to. I think better said I don’t want to make the time. I do think it’s important though, it’s critical for all of us to have some kind of working knowledge of what’s going on around us. I do listen to OPB and try to catch some news while I’m doing other things, like cooking, cleaning and getting ready for my day. This plays into the next question, how informed am I?  I don’t think I’m that informed, this is my fault. The information is out there I’ve just chosen not to make it a large priority in my life. Which, looking at it is pretty silly. So, I’d have to say my level is about a 1 or 2.

Is this a good idea? No, I had to learn from my mother-in-law about an issue on the ballot about school funding different classes (trade classes in welding etc.)at the high school. These topics are always on her radar because she worked for the Medford school system. In this instance I only got her side of the story from her point of view. These are issues I like to stay up on because of my nieces, nephews and our community in general.

Topic 2:
I think the President does a lot of deflection, he tries to move stories into areas he wants us to look at instead of what’s really going on. So, while we’re looking at the Russian election meddling ( I don’t happen to think this is fake news, it’s critically important to our nation.)we’re not paying attention to other topics that need our attention. Like, issues being discussed in congress, bills we as a nation need to know about. I think journalists are doing a good job of keeping people honest and on track about these issues. Like, Sen. Rubio’s bill for paid family leave. When news is reported that doesn’t put what Pres. Trump wants to talk about in a favorable light or when questions are asked that he doesn’t want to answer then it’s ‘fake news.’ These tactics makes me think he doesn’t know the answer to the questions or, trying to draw our attention away from or towards other insignificant issues. For instances, the war remains being returned was a very big deal and very important for families. This I feel took center stage instead of  talking about the deal he had to make to have the remains returned. It’s all a big show that says, “Look at me and what I’ve done.”

I don’t think the President is doing us a disservice, I actually think he’s doing us a favor. There are more reporters out there doing a fantastic job reporting on issues people are starting to talk about that are important because the President isn’t focusing on them. He’s having the exact opposite effect on the news. Instead of weakening the news and drawing attention away from it people are looking to it even more to find out what’s really going on. I know I do. I listen to the President half heartedly then go to different outlets and find out what’s really going on. For instance, the President isn’t talking about any research that’s going on like at home genetic testing, there’s pros and cons to it. How did I hear about this? From the morning news on CBS, as well as the new book being put out by Noah Wylie concerning all the tweets the President has put out. In some ways our democracy isn’t doing as well because our leaders are so distracted dealing with the rhetoric being put out by our President. In other ways it’s been strengthened, we as a society can look at a prominent figure and say this is not how our nation should be run. For our young people it’s a great teaching tool, I also think as adults its made us stop and look at ourselves and what we hold to be important and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment